Get your photo archive digitized before you lose precious, cherished memories, while creating a legacy for you and your family.
Why digitize your photographs?
You may be surprised to find your priceless material, your stored away photographs, film, slides, correspondence, and documents, records of your family history beginning to fade away. Unfortunately photo prints, slides, negatives and documents have a finite shelf life. Even in the most benign environment, you cannot prevent these priceless materials from showing the effects of aging, such as fading and discoloration until their eventual deterioration. Preservation is the number one reason to digitize. Other reasons follow:
Future Proof: The digital image is the perfect way to make your priceless archive last forever without being impacted by time. Going digital is the best-known format for future migration to a more advanced storage media with precise copies every time.
- Storage and Space: Scanning and saving the digitized images on CDs or DVDs provide a safe compact storage solution at low cost.
- Organizing: Your photos can be electronically organized and labeled to your needs, then easily rearranged if desired. As digital camera technology revolutionized the photo industry, now, it’s possible to store your digitized old photos, together with new pictures taken with your new digital camera!
- Sharing: You can view your electronic archive at home as well as with family and friends across the globe with just a touch of a button.
- Viewing: In this fast paced information age, the electronic media enables you to view images as slide shows at any size you wish with clarity, vivid colors and without flipping a page.
- Special event sharing: You can send all your guests images from your: wedding, birthdays, anniversaries, graduations, births, and celebrations etc.
- Disaster Recovery: You can create back up digital archives to be stored at different locations; for example, a safety deposit box so lost or destroyed material can be easily replaced.
- Edit: With ever advancing photo software, the electronic world offers better editing of digital images:
- Restores, improves and enhances
- Artistic emphasis
- Adds sound and animation
- Zooms in and selectively views in detail artifacts not readily apparent in the original source.
Why are negatives or slides the best original media source for scanning?
If you have original negatives or slides, these are better to scan than your photo prints. Film (negatives and slides) is the original image captured by your camera while prints are reproductions. The prints do not contain the original fine quality and some detail in the film may not be shown on prints.
The bad news is that film is delicate media material easily damaged by time and storage environment like pollution, humidity and temperature. This damage manifests itself in fading, scratches, and dust accumulation. However, the good news is that by digitizing your film your images can be fixed electronically.